ISLAND COUNTY BROADBAND
- Island county-
The Island County Planning Study paved the way to position our community for grant dollars. By using a proven methodology we defined unserved and underserved areas.
Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Form 477 broadband availability data shows that nearly 100% of Island County households have access to broadband at speeds that meet the national standard of 25 megabits per second (Mbps) download and 3Mpbs upload (25/3 service). Microsoft data, however, shows that 35,000 people in Island County do not use the internet at broadband speeds.
Island County Mapping Methodology
Using local data with on-the-ground verification we identify:
- Eligible Telecommunications Carrier (ETC) Boundaries where ILEC’s and CLEC’s are actively installing fiber infrastructure
- Use FCC Form 477 data to understand provider footprints
- Incorporated Areas where 25/3 broadband speeds exist (This does not meet WA State broadband goals)
- Federal Funding (CAF II & RDOF Funded Areas)
- Leverage publicly available Microsoft Broadband Usage statistics
- Validate with measured WA State Broadband Speed Test Results and Ookla® Speedtest® results
Methodology identifies unserved markets where state and federal funds will solve the Island County rural broadband issue.
Port of Coupeville
FTTx PWB Project
The goal of this project is to begin a public private partnership to bring urban area broadband speeds and services to all residents and businesses within the project area. Currently, the project area is primarily served by Ziply Fiber Northwest, the incumbent licensed exchange carrier, Comcast, WAVE, and one wireless internet service provider. All companies are providing varying level of services and third party data indicates the project area is unserved. This project identifies the need to construct a Fiber-to-the-premise (FTTX) project in the identified service area.
Specialized grant opportunities. Anchor Institutions
2021 Targeted Grants
Sample Project Timeline
island county broadband strategic plan | North Whidbey